This is last call for the Oscar Mayer Bacon Contest and the odds of winning are excellent! I will be away from my computer until about 6pm (MT), so I’m leaving the contest open until then.
Just to get your creative juices flowing, I thought I’d share a Dutch Oven recipe that I found in my November issue of Taste of Home magazine. (FYI, This recipe and others can also be found online, but you need to “register” by setting up a login. There’s no cost to join.)
Take a look at the first ingredient! Ah yes, bacon!
Ingredients for Pumpkin Bisque with Smoked Gouda
- 4 bacon strips, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (29 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Additional shredded Gouda cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. Saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the broth, pumpkin, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan. Stir in cream; heat through. Add cheese; stir until melted. Sprinkle each serving with parsley, bacon and additional cheese if desired. Yield: 9 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Can’t you just taste that warm bacony, cheesy goodness?
I also wanted to clarify how we’ll choose a winner. Since I can see the names of the people that submitted and I don’t want to show preferential treatment, I’m going to show just the recipes to my husband and have him choose a winner based on which one sounds the most delicious to him. Good news is he LOVES bacon, so they’ll all be in the running.
And here’s a little clarification on the fine print. I now have the coupons in my hot little hand and this is what they say:
FREE – One package of any OSCAR MAYER Bacon (up to $9.00). Expiration 3/31/2012
The images show Center Cut Bacon, Fully Cooked Bacon and Naturally Hardwood Smoked Bacon just to name a few.
Thanks for joining in the fun! Keep your eyes open for more contests in the future.